ISO/IEC 17025:2017 General Requirements for the Competence of Testing and Calibration Laboratories replaces the 2005 version.
The more significant changes include:
- A revised scope to cover all laboratory activities including testing, calibration, and their associated sampling
- A new structure that matches other conformity assessment standards
- A process approach that matches newer standards such as ISO 9001:2015
- A stronger focus on information technology that recognizes that hard copy documents are being phased out
- A new section risk-based thinking
- Updated terminology
The new version was published at the end of November 2017. The International Accreditation Service, IAS, published a transition timeline that says all labs must conform to the new standard by Dec. 1, 2020.